Sulfites are a naturally occurring chemical that is added to many foods and drinks. They’re used as preservatives and can be found in dried fruit, canned goods, beer, and even some bread.
Sulfites are a type of preservative that is often used in the production of wine. The FDA has set an upper limit of 200 parts per million for sulfite levels in wines sold domestically. There also an upper limit for how much sulfites can be present in food without labeling it as “contains sulfite.”
Some people have an allergy to sulfites, which can lead to unpleasant symptoms such as asthma attacks or hives. If you experience these symptoms after consuming red wine, it may be because of sulfites.
Most people don’t need to worry about eating too many sulfites because their bodies will simply get rid of them through urine or sweat. If you have asthma or other respiratory conditions like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, then it might be best to avoid foods with high levels of sulfites.
Foods that you need to check before eating includes fresh produce like grapes and raisins, wine, salad dressing, canned goods, beer, etc. Since this compound can make breathing difficult by triggering an asthmatic attack or worsening symptoms of COPD-related lung inflammation, you have to be careful around things that carry sulfites.
Some of the adverse effects of sulfites include allergic reactions, asthma, migraines, hives, and other health problems. Some of these can be lethal and can cause death if not treated on time, making it necessary to get help immediately if you start experiencing these.
If you have been experiencing any adverse reactions after drinking red wine or eating dried fruit with high levels of sulfites, it may be worth consulting your doctor. However, if you don’t experience any symptoms from these products then there’s no need to worry!
You can enjoy the food of your liking that contains sulfites without fear of side effects if you’re not allergic to sulfites or having an adverse reaction due to any other reason.